Would you? Could you? In a sling?

by christina on March 9, 2009

As a native English speaker living in a non-English-speaking country, finding good English language children’s books is tough.  I’ve picked up plenty of German books for my husband to read to our son, but that doesn’t help me (we’re raising him bilingually, so I speak only English with him).  I’m a big fan of Dr. Seuss, but there’s only so much Green Eggs and Ham one can take. This is my first child, and I haven’t really been around kids at all before this, so I don’t know any more recently written books.  My son’s book collection contains books I liked as a kid, and that’s about it.

My son, who’s now 19 months old, is getting to the point where he can learn things from books.  I want to introduce him to concepts like potty training, or get a great bedtime book, but there’s no place to go to browse through stacks of books for that one perfect one.  I’ve come to rely on the reviews on Amazon, then I’ve ordered the books with the best ratings, and more often than not, I’ve been extremely disappointed.  So many of the children’s books out there show babies in cribs, or having a bottle before bedtime.  There’s Leo the mouse who’s parents won’t let him in bed with them, leaving him to wander the house at night until he realizes dreaming is fun and returns to his bed.

Sure, I guess eventually my son will move on to his own bed, but what about now?  He sleeps between my husband and I.  What will he think of this book?  I started to wonder, are there good children’s books out there for attachment parenting families?

After a Google search, I found only one site listing books, The Whole Family: Children’s Books for the Attachment Parenting Family.  Before I make another book order, I’m going to take a look at the books on this list.

Do you have any favorite children’s books?

Christina blogs about life at An American Expat in Deutschland and about parenting at Mamas Worldwide.

christina (6 Posts)

Naomifrederickmd March 9, 2009 at 5:07 pm

I have found it hard too finding ‘well meaning’ books that are totally the opposite of what I want my son to hear a story about. For us it was books about having a new baby brother or sister and most of them were all gloom and doom. Of course at the end the child learns to love the sibling but most of them started with assumptions about babies my son never had.

Sunnymama March 9, 2009 at 7:23 pm

This is a great post, I know exactly what you mean about how hard it is to find books for young children without cribs, bottles etc. I found more children’s books that are supportive of attachment parenting & breastfeeding at Kellymom and Attachments.

Melanie March 9, 2009 at 7:34 pm

I totally agree with you. My daughter (almost 1 year) doesn’t take a bottle and never has. I doubt she even knows what a bottle is, yet it’s a picture of a bottle labeled “milk” in a few of her first words books. I’ve put books back on the shelves at stores because they only depict babies with bottles. H0w will she relate to that? Also, so many of the dolls that I see in the stores come with bottles.

Niecey March 10, 2009 at 12:19 am

Robert Munsch – Love You Forever is a MUST have. I cry like a baby when I read it to my kids. It’s the best ever children’s book.

TopHat March 10, 2009 at 10:30 am

I found an AP book by accident. I knit and I decided to check out all the picture books I could find that had a character knitting in it. I found one called, “Knitty Kitty.” The mother cat, not only doesn’t get mad that her kittens are using her knitted items on a snowman instead of themselves (my parents would have gotten made at me for playing with something they put time into making), but when the kittens are cold at night because the warm knitted items are on the snowman, she says, “Don’t worry, I’ve got something that’ll keep you warm: me!” And they all sleep together. Definitely one of my favorites.

MamanADroit February 15, 2010 at 12:57 pm

I haven’t read it since I was little myself, but I used to love “the Bunnies’ Get Well Soup” about a bunny family who gets sick and the mommy bunny (with help from their woodland crature neighbors) makes them soup. I remember an illustration of all the baby bunnies in one big bed that took up both pages that were visible and always made me giggle. It includes a recipe which I always wanted to try but never did.